Chet The Scribe

My name is Chet Meeks. I am a 32 year old sociologist. I started this blog so that I can write about the things that interest me. I hope you enjoy it.

Sunday, December 02, 2007

Update and Instructions

Hello Everyone,

It has been a very long time since I've written on this blog. As most of you know, my condition has gotten progressively worse over the last 1-2 months. The "chemo light" version of therapy that I went on after Houston did not work and the cancer progressed. I developed a condition known as ascites. When tumors grow and build their own blood vessels, etc., they do so in a way that produces a lot of excessive waste fluid that pools in the abdominal region and peritoneum. Within a matter of weeks my stomach/abdomen grew to a grotesque size, even as I continued losing weight (which I continue to lose, despite a fairly healthy appetite and diet).

I switched to oxaliplatin and avastin, a more aggressive treatment, hoping it would get rid of the new cancer progression and ascites. It did not. While the ascites did not seem to worsen, the most recent CT Scan showed a marked narrowing of my vena cava, a major artery (blood vessel? I have no idea) that carries blood, etc. from the lower extremities to the heart. My vena cava is about 1/4 the size that it should be. This explains the edema that I began developing in my feet about a month ago, adding yet another grotesque feature to my increasingly disfigured, foreign body.

Several weeks ago, I had an accident because of the edema in my feet and legs. I had purchased some groceries and things around town, and by the time I got back to the apartment building, there was a downpour of rain in Atlanta (this was before Sonny's Sunday prayer for rain on the capitol lawn, so not divine intervention, unfortunately). I parked near the front door and did my routine -- the one where you make sure each thing you need to depart the car with is looped around at least one limb, then you count to three, then you open the door, then you count to three again, and jump out trying to frantically make your way from car to building without getting completely soaked (always a foolish endeavor anyway). All of this, of course, involves running, which I've always been able to do. Well, when your feet weight about 1/4 pound more than what you're used to because of the build up of waste fluid in them that your body no longer processes and expels, running becomes a little trickier. Bags in hand, I ran toward my apartment building, reflexively locking my car as I did. Only, as I bounded up the first step, I did not quite lift my right foot far enough to make it.

We've all fallen and had accidents. I've had many that turned out far worse than this one. But there was a qualitative difference in this tumble. There was something about the way my body reacted to the mis-step, or the way it didn't, or couldn't, react, that was very different, and very troubling. None of the usual reflexes we have developed for falling down worked. I didn't brace myself properly. I didn't fall the right way. I didn't protect my head (not injured, thankfully). Nothing really worked. On top of this was the fact that the newly acquired weight around my mid-section, coupled with the overall loss of weight around the rest of my body (20-25 lbs since May, or about 15%) left me with a more-than-compromised sense of balance, and an equally lame ability to react to said compromised sense -- etc., etc., etc., you get the picture. I fell, and I fell hard, leaving my hand, elbow, and knee badly cut and bleeding, and a wound somewhere else too -- on my ego, my heart, soul, call it whatever you like it......I think at the moment of that fall, I started into the downward spiral of this disease. It was symbolic and real: a real loss of bodily function and control, and a symbolic gesture toward what has happened, and toward what is to come.

Sure enough, life has gotten much harder since "the fall." I have been a lot more tired. I had another CT Scan after showing the doctor my new edema, which confirmed that the oxaliplatin and avastin combo were also not really working, at least not to the doctor's satisfaction. The next mix in the grab bag of poisons would be irinotecan and erbitux. Irinotecan, you may remember, was the drug I was put on here in Atlanta after re-diagnosis last year. Erbitux is a monoclonal anti-body that targets EGFR+ cancer cells like mine and kills them (supposedly). The problem with erbitux is that it tends to kill a lot of people, since it's made of 30% mouse protein that causes lethal allergic reactions in a lot of people who infuse it (when the FDA first learned of this, they cancelled a bunch of clinical trials for the drug, causing a fall in Imclone stock....which Martha got a heads up about, sold her portion, and yadda yadda yadda).

Apparently erbitux also causes catatonic forms of depression and immobility, because that's what I suffered from while on my first treatment of it. I had it last Thursday and, to be quite honest, feel lucky to be alive as I sit here writing this to all of you right now. If I had had the energy, I would have grabbed a something with not much give and garroted myself. I'm not being funny -- in the least.

On the upside, my nurse mentioned to me that I might get an indication that erbitux is working on the ascites and edema (and the tumors, presumably), because I'd have to urinate a lot. And I can confirm that this does indeed seem to be the case with me and erbitux, because I woke up at 8am soaked in my own urine.

One has to wonder what sort of meaning there can be left in a life when waking up in one's own piss is "the upside."

Well, I know this is all very uncomfortable to read. And the real purpose of this blog is to apologize for not keeping people updated. I know that, especially during the last month, many of you have waited patiently for me to return phone calls and emails, which I have ignored or forgotten. The truth is that getting through a day for me now requires a lot more work and energy than it used to. The truth is also that I'm becoming much more selfish with my time and, as someone who never liked talking on the phone in the first place, tend to avoid my Verizon albatross as much as possible. Same for email.

The problem is this: most of you ask the same questions; you have the same concerns. But there comes a point at which, after explaining for the fifth time in a day what drugs one is now taking, how those drugs work, what the doctor thinks about x, y, z, or the new wart I've developed (there are no warts, really), or any of other minutia of my disease and treatment, one wants to literally pull one's hair out. The blog was an easy way to remedy this situation at first, but after a while, everyone wants their own personal blog, from me, on the phone. It's exhausting, and I can't take it anymore. I love all of you with all of my heart, and there is nothing in my life that I am more thankful for than all of your support, warmth, care, and love over the last two years and this nightmare that my life has turned into. But I cannot continue to be the link between everyone's worries and concerns about my disease, and the disease itself.

So I'm putting Wendy in charge. Her phone # is: 404-210-4980 and she can be reached between 11am and 5pm. She'll return voice mails and will know everything there is to know about my condition. She can even report whether or not I've urinated on myself that day.

And it goes without saying that I want you all to continue to call me. I love hearing each of your voices, and I feel like the luckiest person on earth to have all of you in my life. The only thing I ask is that you NOT ask me any details about my doctor's visits, the specificities of treatments, drugs, side effects (again, the minutia of my disease and treatments), etc. I cannot talk about cancer anymore. All of that stuff should be directed at Wendy. And if you call me and don't hear back from me within a few days, Wendy can easily update you on what's going on with me.

I'm really sorry for the bitchy tone of this post.....I wish there were some way I could show each of you how much I care for and love you.


Chet

16 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the post. I totally understand. However, some red Rit dye might have made your post more colourful! LOL

And Wendy, thanks for your help.

Much love -
Michael

12:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We all love you Chet...I still need to get you the beef stew Bernie made (don't worry I froze it, so it's still good)

Deirdre

9:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

4:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't believe there is an adverstisement in the comments to your blog! Jesus. I'm sending you lots of lard and sugar with Carla when she comes down.

Your most persistently difficult NIU student passed his comps. No justice.

Love Kristen

1:17 PM  
Blogger Will said...

Hey, Chet. Just wanted to say "Hello" from one of your former students. NIU just isn't the same without you. Of course, NIU wasn't the same WITH you, either. :-) Anyway, just wanted you to know I was thinking of you and sending you positive energy. Take care.

//Will//

8:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello friends & fans of Chet,

If you've called me, I have *tried* to return your call. Stephanie, if you're out there, I am sorry but I lost your number by accidentally deleting your message. If you want to contact me, email is probably better -- I am less likely to lose those messages (and if I don't lose them, I am thus more likely to respond to them)!

-Wendy
wsimonds@gsu.edu

6:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Chet,

Wow am I out of the loop. I did not know you were sick. I am sorry that I have lost touch for a while. If you didn't know you were my favorite and influential professor at NIU. You taught me to think, to be critical, TO look beyond the information that was given to me and for that I will always be in your debt. You have done so much for me, I have put a lot of your work into my lectures in my classes. I make it a point for all of my students to know the name Chet Meeks You will be hearing more from me later

Brian Brutlag

8:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Chet,
I'm still thinking about that almost impossible meeting waiting for the train in Atlanta. It still makes me giggle that you thought i was some weird and annoying (maybe true) person who was getting into your personal space.
I love you.
heather

11:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, it could be worse, you could be waking up soaked in someone else's piss.

No apologies, sir. Be selfish. Super selfish.

Much love from Boston. Truly.

PS You're such an effing star. Only you could make a post like this simultaneously poignant, gross, insightful, and funny. It makes me miss your face!

9:06 AM  
Blogger 柯云 said...

2016-02-25keyun
air max 95
kobe 10
christian louboutin shoes
louis vuitton outlet
louis vuitton purses
christian louboutin shoes
coach outlet
concord 11
burberry outlet online
hollister clothing
louboutin femme
tods outlet online
cheap air jordans
michael kors outlet
vans sneakers
nike air huarache
michael kors handbags
gucci outlet
ralph lauren outlet
kate spade outlet
kate spade purses
michael kors outlet
michael kors outlet online
canada goose outlet online
ray-ban sunglasses
ugg boots outlet
kobe 8
kd 8
michael kors outlet
ugg outlet store
tory burch boots
louis vuitton handbags
true religion
celine bags
coach outlet store
uggs outlet
louis vuitton outlet stores
abercrombie and fitch
ray ban sunglasses outlet
polo ralph lauren

5:03 PM  
Blogger 柯云 said...

2016-02-25keyun
air max 95
kobe 10
christian louboutin shoes
louis vuitton outlet
louis vuitton purses
christian louboutin shoes
coach outlet
concord 11
burberry outlet online
hollister clothing
louboutin femme
tods outlet online
cheap air jordans
michael kors outlet
vans sneakers
nike air huarache
michael kors handbags
gucci outlet
ralph lauren outlet
kate spade outlet
kate spade purses
michael kors outlet
michael kors outlet online
canada goose outlet online
ray-ban sunglasses
ugg boots outlet
kobe 8
kd 8
michael kors outlet
ugg outlet store
tory burch boots
louis vuitton handbags
true religion
celine bags
coach outlet store
uggs outlet
louis vuitton outlet stores
abercrombie and fitch
ray ban sunglasses outlet
polo ralph lauren

5:05 PM  
Blogger mmjiaxin said...

michael kors handbags clearance
http://www.rayban-sunglasses.uk
retro jordans
yeezy boost 350 v2
http://www.jordanretro.uk
adidas nmd
discount oakley sunglasses
air max thea
ralph lauren online,cheap ralph lauren
lacoste online shop
gg

5:44 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...


I like all of the points you have made
https://decor-ksa.com/
http://caravank.com/factory/
http://caravank.com/for-sale-in-riyadh/
http://caravank.com/withdrawn-for-sale/
http://caravank.com/withdrawal-rooms/

1:59 AM  
Blogger jeje said...

fitflops clearance
canada goose outlet
christmas presents
kate spade outlet
pandora jewelry
ed hardy uk
yeezy boots 350
canada goose outlet
basketballl shoes
jordan 4

6:29 PM  
Blogger Susan said...

Superbly written article, if only all bloggers offered the same content as you, the internet would be a far better place.. If you're looking for the best things to do in the world, things to do has something for everybody! From adventure to culture, food to history

2:48 AM  
Blogger ahmed deraz said...

خدمات الشارقة – ابو الهول
توريد وتركيب عشب طبيعى الشارقة
تركيب عشب طبيعى الشارقة

10:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home