Update from Houston
Chet came through surgery fine. The surgery took 2½ hours. It was not possible to remove as much of the tumor as the surgeon had hoped, so she was not able to perform the heated chemotherapy that was planned. She was, however, able to remove Chet’s omentum and reduce a substantial amount of the tumor. Chet is still a little foggy, post-anesthesia, but his vital signs are strong and he is able to carry on conversation. He is in good pain control.
The surgeon told us that she will consult with a medical oncologist about her findings and that the medical oncologist will make recommendations about another round of chemotherapy and possibly monoclonal antibody therapy. While recovering from the surgery, Chet is free to decide whether to receive further treatment at MD Anderson or return to Atlanta for further treatment. We have been told that he will likely be released from the hospital in about a week (assuming he will choose to return to Atlanta rather than stay in Houston to pursue further treatment).
The surgeon spoke with him soon after the surgery and explained to him the surgical benefits she was able to provide for him. Ace, Heidi, Asa, Andrea, Carla and I have all seen and talked with him. Although Chet (and everyone else) is clearly disappointed that the benefits of surgery were not as great as we’d hoped, there are viable chemotherapy (and possibly monoclonal antibody therapy) options available to him that can provide benefits.
Chet, as always, is concerned about how all of us are doing and has, of course, grilled all of us as to whether or not we are fulfilling our phone tree obligations.
To say anything beyond this would be no more than arrogant speculation. We are all hopeful – for good reason – that there are further options to pursue.