Chet The Scribe

My name is Chet Meeks. I am a 32 year old sociologist. I started this blog so that I can write about the things that interest me. I hope you enjoy it.

Friday, May 18, 2007

Update from Houston

Chet came through surgery fine. The surgery took 2½ hours. It was not possible to remove as much of the tumor as the surgeon had hoped, so she was not able to perform the heated chemotherapy that was planned. She was, however, able to remove Chet’s omentum and reduce a substantial amount of the tumor. Chet is still a little foggy, post-anesthesia, but his vital signs are strong and he is able to carry on conversation. He is in good pain control.

The surgeon told us that she will consult with a medical oncologist about her findings and that the medical oncologist will make recommendations about another round of chemotherapy and possibly monoclonal antibody therapy. While recovering from the surgery, Chet is free to decide whether to receive further treatment at MD Anderson or return to Atlanta for further treatment. We have been told that he will likely be released from the hospital in about a week (assuming he will choose to return to Atlanta rather than stay in Houston to pursue further treatment).

The surgeon spoke with him soon after the surgery and explained to him the surgical benefits she was able to provide for him. Ace, Heidi, Asa, Andrea, Carla and I have all seen and talked with him. Although Chet (and everyone else) is clearly disappointed that the benefits of surgery were not as great as we’d hoped, there are viable chemotherapy (and possibly monoclonal antibody therapy) options available to him that can provide benefits.

Chet, as always, is concerned about how all of us are doing and has, of course, grilled all of us as to whether or not we are fulfilling our phone tree obligations.

To say anything beyond this would be no more than arrogant speculation. We are all hopeful – for good reason – that there are further options to pursue.

Tom

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Chet

I send you hugs and more hugs...Jewish mother hugs, which can't be beat by any other ethnic group for hugs. Well, Italian mother hugs come close...but we'll let that go.

Meanwhile, wrap yourself in these Jewish mother hugs...they are truly healing and we want you to heal quickly and return home.

Love and more hugs,
Bobbie

4:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Chet--

I got to see Rufus Wainwright on Wednesday (in NYC) and I had him autograph his new CD for you. When you are feeling like reading your blog comments, let me know if you want me to send it to you in Houston or send it to Atlanta. You'll have to send me your address. My e-mail is goodin@uwyo.edu.

Hope you recover quickly from this surgery and the options remain good. Will definitely keep you in my thoughts.

--Susanna

6:03 PM  
Blogger David said...

No Jewish mother I, but Houston or Atlanta, it's all the same to me.

Let me know, where we're going to have our little get together.

And don't get sidetracked by Rufus (whoever he is). He can get in line, with the rest of them.


(PS. No pressure, but I prefer Atlanta.)

6:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Chet,
We're thinking about you here in the ATL. Wow, Bobbie's hugs are so powerful I felt some reverb here in Decatur. We miss you and hope you recover soon. Love, min and moey

9:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Chet:
Had a great stay at your ultra cool apartment. I went to Wendy's for dinner and met Grif. Erin was there too. It was really fun --thanks Wendy!

So since you are probably coming back sooner than expected I decided to do a major clean of your place. But man, your vaccum really doesn't suck (that joke is for your dad).

I also left you two bottles of wine (Hello Wine!).

Tache and I co-existed together fine. She would even sit on the far side of the couch with me, when I was watching TV. She still won't let me pet her though. I got her some cat toys and some more Fancy Feist (she loves it)Poor thing really misses you.

I also did the dreaded but necessary annual cat owner task of dumping out all the litter and washing the box out and then putting new litter in. So you won't have to do that for a long while.

Talk to you soon. Thanks for letting crash at your pad.
Love,
Deirdre

5:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Chet,

We're sending you lots of Jewish mother and father hugs from Buffalo. And wishing you a speedy recovery! Hope you feel better soon.

Love,
Robert and Beth

7:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Chet -

It is common knowledge that regional hugs can't hold a candle to an ethnic squeeze.

Now, Bobbie gives good hug because they are anatomically correct (a fringe benefit of possessing bodacious tartars). Not to enter into this competition, but much love and very warm hugs from the land of fruit and nuts (mostly nuts...)

This love comes with the distinct advance of having been sent in Pacific Time which is three hours ahead of prime time ethnicity.

Just come home. We'll talk.

My love, Beth
Los Angeles Time 4:15 pm

4:19 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

A week after three of the top four teams lost, another top team suffered a similar fate and cheap nfl jerseys this one might have cost Nike Roshe Run the season-long Heisman frontrunner his chance at the trophy.

Louisville came into Thursday’s pivotal contest Nike Air Max 90 with aspirations of louboutin outlet putting on NFL Jerseys a show worthy of a spot Nike Free Run in nfl jerseys store the top christian louboutin uk four of the College Football Playoff standings, but what resulted Nike Air Max 2015 Shoes was the exact wholesale nfl jerseys opposite. The Cardinals came out flat against an inspired christian louboutin shoes Houston team and were essentially run off the field in a 36-10 rout.

10:00 PM  
Blogger menna said...

فرسان العرب
شركة تنظيف فلل في الرياض
ارخص شركة تنظيف فلل في الرياض

4:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home